Man Paralysed After Neck Massage From Barber, Here’s What Went Wrong

Little did Ajay Kumar know that a routine haircut and neck massage at his local barber shop would lead to severe (if not permanent) nerve damage.

According to reports in Indiatimes, the victim had gone for a haircut last month to his salon and had gotten a neck massage with the famous ‘neck-crack’where the barber twists the customer’s neck from side to side to ‘crack’ it.

Apparently, instead of leaving him feeling refreshed, the move damaged his phrenic nerves. The nerves in question control the diaphragm, which controls breathing. Kumar had to urgently be put on mechanical ventilation.

“He has been put on non-invasive ventilation for breathing support and may continue to be on it,” said Dr Anand Jaiswal, director of respiratory and sleep medicine at Medanta – The Medicity.

The doctor added that Kumar may need ventilator support all his life as these phrenic nerves rarely regenerate spontaneously.

“The neck massage and neck-crack that barbers ritually perform after a haircut can cause long-term damage to neck joints and surrounding tissues, muscles or nerves or even cause bilateral diaphragmatic paralysis like in this case,” the doctor said, cautioning everyone against getting neck massages at salons.

Source :