Most people know the traditional uses of lemons such as soothing sore throats, adding citrus flavor to foods, etc. But the diversity of lemons applications exceeds the general knowledge of people. Reading these advantages of lemons would make you stock few lemons all the time in your kitchen.
1 Freshen your Fridge: By removing all refrigerator odors easily by dabbing the lemon juice on sponge or cotton ball. Leave it there in fridge for few hours and also toss out any stinking item in the fridge causing bad smell.
2. Controls High Blood Pressure as lemon have potassium which can control reduce nausea, dizziness, and high blood pressure.
3. Avoid Cauliflower from becoming Brown: by squeezing one teaspoon of freshly squeezed lemon juice on cauliflowers just before heating.
4. For Mental Health: Lemon water helps better the mood and also relieves from stress and depression. Many long distance walkers see lemon as Godsend as it relieves from fatigue when sucked through the top through a hole. It is also a quick acting medicine and gives unbelievable refreshments.
5. Revive Cutting Boards: Remove smells of garlic, onions, and fish by rubbing a cut lemon on it.
6. Cure Respiratory Problems: Lemon water has ability to lessen phlegm to help breathe properly and help asthma patients’ sufferings.
7. Treating Rheumatism and Arthritis as lemon is diuretic which assists in urine production that helps reduce inflammation by flushing out the bacteria and toxins to give relief from rheumatism and arthritis.
8. Prevents the Kidney Stones as usual consumption of lemon juice with water increases urinary citrate production- a chemical in urine which prevents formation of crystals which might form kidney stones.
9. Insects Out of Kitchen: Simply give your kitchen a lemon treatment by squirting a little lemon juice on the windowsills and door thresholds. After that, just squeeze some lemon juice in any cracks or holes from where the ants might be getting in. Lastly, spread little lemon peel slices around the outside entrance which will give the ants a message- they are not welcome. Lemons also effectively work against fleas and roaches: just mix 4 lemons’ juice (with its rinds) along with 2 liters of water and then wash the floors with it. Roaches hate this smell.
10. Anti-Aging: The lemon water decreases production of free radicals that create aging skin as well as skin damaging effect as it is an antioxidant and calorie free.
11. Vegetable and Fruit Wash: Just slice a lemon and then squeeze one tablespoon lemon juice in a spray bottle. Lemon juice is natural disinfectant that leaves the vegetables and fruits with nice smelling too.
12. Cure Infections with lemon water by fighting throat infections- as it has antibacterial property. In case, salt water is working for you, just give lime and water a try for gargling.
13. Garbage Deodorizing: If the garbage is smelling bad, then save some leftover lemon peels to toss them at base of the bag. For better smell, repeat it once a fortnight.
14. Keep the Guacamole Green: Prevent it from turning brown on its top by sprinkling good amount of freshly squeezed lemon juice on it to let it be fresh and green. Its flavor is natural complement to avocados present in guacamole. And also make fruit salad many hours in advance as well by squeezing a little lemon juice on apple slices to let them be snowy white in color.
15. Purges Blood: The junk food with artificial flavors and preservatives creates toxins in body and blood. Daily lemon water consumption helps purify blood.
16. Make damp Lettuce Crisp by adding half lemon’s juice in a cold water bowl and put soggy lettuce before refrigerating for one hour. Always dry the leaves totally before tossing them into sandwiches or salads.
17. Great Oral Health: Lemon juice reduces toothaches and stops bleeding gums.
18. Lessen Age Spots: Apply lemon juice directly on the affected area and after 15 minutes, rinse your skin to make it look clean. It is an effective and great skin lightening agent and safe too.
19. Make Blonde Highlights: Just add ¼ cup of lemon juice in 3/4th cup of water and then rinse hair with this mixture. Let the sun dry your hair; repeat once every day for one week.
20. Make Room Humidifier/Scent on dry winter days: place enameled cast iron pot in a wood burning stove and fill it with water mixed with cinnamon sticks, lemon peels, apple skins, and cloves. In case, there if you do not have wood burning stove, then use the stovetop and occasionally simmer the water.
21. Whiten Nails: Just add ½ lemon juice to one cup of warm water and then soak your fingertips in this mixture for about 5 minutes. Then, rub few lemon peels backward and forward against nails.
22. Cleanse the Face: Just dab some lemon juices on the blackheads to pull them out in the daytime. Also wash the face with some lemon juice for natural exfoliation and cleansing to improve skin after few days. The lemon water beats the heat as it is a cooling agent.
23. Freshen the Breath: Create a spontaneous mouthwash by cleaning with the lemon juice directly from bottle. Consume for fresh breath that lasts longer. Citric acid in juice alters pH level in the mouth that kills bad breath causing bacteria. Then rinse in few minutes as its long term exposure can harm the tooth enamel.
24. Cure Flaky Dandruff: Simply massage with 2 tablespoons of lemon juice in your scalp and then rinse with water. After that, mix 1 teaspoon of lemon juice in 1 cup of water and then rinse hair with it. Do it again daily until the dandruff disappears totally.
25. rid of Tough Marble Stains: Marble is petrified calcium which makes it so porous, hard to remove stains, and damaged easily. To remove harsh stains, cut one lemon in half and dip its exposed flesh in little table salt, and then vigorously rub it on the stain; if nothing else works. Then, rinse well.
26. Take out Berry Stains: After a fun berries picking session, try washing the hands with some undiluted lemon juice, wait for few minutes, and then wash with warm and soapy water. Then, repeat it until your hands become stain free.
27. Soften the Dry and Scaly Elbows by mixing lemon juice and baking soda to create a rough paste, rub it to your elbows for smoothing, soothing, and an exfoliating treatment. Then rinse the extremities in combination of equal parts of water and lemon juice. Massage with olive oil before dabbing it dry with soft cloth.
28. Curing Headaches: Few teaspoons hot tea with lemon juice is a great treatment of any sophisticated bartender of New York to cure those hangover headaches and generally happening ones.
29. Cure Fevers and Chills happening due to many causes with lemon just as the Spanish physicians who regard them as perfect friend.
30. Diphtheria: Just skip its vaccine and instead go for the antiseptic Lemon Juice Treatment. Its strong digestive qualities are admired around the world. Consume its juice every two hours and also take just 1 tsp. at a time. This would cut loose false membrane in throat to permit it to appear.
31. Vaginal sanitation: Diluted lemon juice is a safe method for vaginal hygiene. Although lemon is powerful antiseptic but it is not free from the frustrating drugs during in suppositories and douches.
32. Forget Moth Balls: According to a French custom, ripe lemons stuck with cloves on them keep the closets free from the moths to leave a wonderful odor all over the rooms and closets.
33. Stomach Health: Common digestive problems can be cured with warm water mixed with lime juice. The lemon juice helps purify blood, reduces constipation and indigestion chances, adds digestion, eliminates toxins from body, and also reduces the phlegm.
34. Sanitize Cuts and Scrapes: Simply stop bleeding from minor cuts by pouring few lemon juice drops directly on it. Also, you can apply the lemon juice with cotton ball and then hold it firmly for a minute.
35. Calm the Poison Ivy Rash: No need for calamine lotion: simply apply some lemon juice on the affected area for relief from rash and itching.
36. Remove Warts: Just apply lemon juice dab directly to wart with cotton swab. Then, repeat it for some days until acids in lemon juice totally dissolve wart completely.
37. Bleach Fragile Fabrics: Use lemon juice instead of ordinary home chlorine bleach. It is milder and equally effective. Just soak the delicates in lemon juice mixture with baking soda for half an hour prior to washing.
38. Polish Chrome and Clean Tarnished Brass: Just make paste of salt and lemon juice to coat its affected area for 5 minutes before rinsing in warm water and dry polishing it. Use this mixture to clean the metal kitchen sinks as well. You can also apply this paste and rinse to get rid of polish chrome faucets as well as mineral deposits on tarnished chrome. Just rub the lemon rind over chrome to make it shine. Rinse it well and then dry with soft cloth.
39. Replace the Dry Cleaner: Just scrub stained area on your shirts or blouses with equal parts of water and lemon juice. The “pits” would become as good as new along with a better smell.
40. Boost the Laundry Detergent: For powerful cleaning action, simply pour one cup of lemon juice in a washer while in wash cycle. The usual bleaching action of juice would help zap the stains and also remove the mineral and rust and stains from the cotton T-shirts to give your clothes a fresh smell and brighter look.
41. Get Rid of Mildew on Clothes: Unpacking clothes after long winters and seeing the stains of mold? Now get rid of this mold by making paste of salt and lemon juice before rubbing it to affected areas. Dry the clothes in the sunlight. Then, repeat this process until stains are gone.
42. Eliminate the Fireplace Odor: Try throwing few lemon peels in fireplace flames or just burn a few lemon peels with the firewood for preventing a bad odor.
43. Neutralize the Cat-Box Odor: No need of aerosol spray to freshen your bathroom air. Now, simply cut two lemons in half and place them- with cut side up- inside a dish in room. It would make the air around it smell lemon fresh very soon.
44. Deodorize Humidifier: Simply pour 2 to 4 teaspoons of lemon juice in water to remove odor with lemon fresh scent. Just repeat it every fortnight.
45. Decrease Asthma Symptoms: Along with being general detoxifying diet, just 2 tablespoons lemon juice prior to each meal and before hitting the bed- can help reduce the asthma symptoms.
* In case you don’t consume lemon peel, go for the organic lemons to decrease pesticide exposure.
If you like the Article, Subscribe to our Weekly Newsletter (It’s Free)