In the effort to save energy and money, we often replaced our old standard light bulbs with their environmentally-friendly, new generation energy saving counterparts.

 
However, this new generation of bulb are so toxic that the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency actually have an emergency response protocol you need to follow in the event of the bulb cracking or breaking. This is due to the poison gas that is released. 
When the bulb is smashed indoors, it releases 20 times the acceptable mercury limit into the air, according to a study conducted by researchers from the Fraunhofer Wilhelm Klauditz Institute for German’s Federal Environment Agency.

Energy Efficient Light Bulbs Have Been Shown to Cause:

  • Dizziness
  • Cluster headaches
  • Migraines
  • Seizures
  • Fatigue
  • Inability to concentrate
  • Anxiety

Why Are They So Dangerous?

1. Energy saving bulbs contain mercury. 
This is a harmful and potent neurotoxin,  especially dangerous to small children and pregnant women.
Especially toxic to the brain, the nervous system, the liver and the kidneys – It also damages the cardiovascular, immune and reproductive systems. It can lead lead to tremors, anxiety, insomnia, memory loss, headaches, cancer and Alzheimer’s .
2. Energy saving bulbs can cause cancer.
Peter Braun at Berlin Germany’s Alab Laboratory found these light bulbs contain poisonous carcinogens that could increase the risk of cancer:
Phenol, a mildly acidic toxic white crystalline solid, obtained from coal tar and used in chemical manufacture (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phenol).
Naphthalene, a volatile white crystalline compound, produced by the distillation of coal tar, used in mothballs and as a raw material for chemical manufacture (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naphthalene).
Styrene, an unsaturated liquid hydrocarbon, obtained as a petroleum byproduct(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Styrene).
3. Energy saving light bulbs emit a lot of UV ray
Energy saving lamps emit UV-B and traces of UV-C radiation. UV-radiation is harmful to the skin and the eyes.  The radiation from these bulbs directly attacks the immune system, and furthermore damages the skin tissues enough to prevent the proper formation of vitamin D-3
These bulbs are so toxic that you are not supposed to put them in the normal trash bin. They are classed as household hazardous waste.
 
If you break one in a house, open all of your windows and doors, and evacuate the house for at least 15 minutes to minimize your exposure to the poisonous gas. .